For Aspiring Midwives
Midwives take care of individuals during pregnancy, labor, birth and the postpartum. When delivery takes place in the home or birth center setting, the midwife is also responsible
for taking care of the newborn. Midwives may also provide gynecology services.
MIDWIVES MODEL OF CARE
The Midwives Model of Care™ is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous handson assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
- The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section”